Waxahachie Journal Architecture
Burleson House, (located at 1206 West Main Street in Waxahachie, Texas), was the original headquarters of T.W. Burleson & Son's Pure Honey (a family-owned business), which was established in 1907 by Thomas William Burleson.
701 S. Rogers $899,000 5 Bedrooms, 4 Baths 5,031 Square Feet Built in 1894. Fabulous restored queen anne victorian estate, rosemont, built in 1894 situated on approx. 3.5 acres of gorgeous grounds, including a pecan orchard. Home is on the national and Texas historical register. The home is an architectural gem w-tremendous drive-up appeal featuring wraparound porches & balconies. Home has 5 or 6 bed rooms, large inviting living areas, 12 ft. Ceilings, several fire places, large basement, 3rd flr perfect for playroom, gargage for 8 cars, seperate paving for entertaining.
Contact: Judy Sessions Phone: 214-354-5556
At one time, Waxahachie was home to four nice Bed and Breakfast Inns. At some point, a city ordinance was passed which seemed to favor one B&B over all the the others.
The City of Waxahachie Cemetery dates back to the mid 1800s and is one of the City’s most historic sites. The City Cemetery is the resting place for many of Waxahachie’s pioneer citizens, and land and cotton barons of years ago. The location of the Cemetery is 300 South Hawkins Street.
INDEPENDENT ORDER of ODD FELLOWS - The Odd Fellows lodge began in the mid 18th century as a fraternal benevolent society. Using the Three Chain Links and All Seeing Eye as emblems, with FRIENDSHIP, LOVE and TRUTH as watchwords, and Visit The Sick, Relive The Distressed, Bury The Dead, Educate the Orphan as its motto.
The first recorded Lodge of Odd Fellows was Loyal Aristarcus Lodge, founded in 1745. It met above the Globe Tavern at Hatton Garden, England. The Odd Fellows are now called the Manchester Unity of Odd Fellows in England.
It takes little coaxing to get people who grew up in Waxahachie to tell their "Texas" story—that is, to talk about the Texas Theater which is one of those community landmarks that has a special meaning for local residents. What has been missing from the Texas story, however, is a framework, a timeline, of important dates and events in the early history of the building and the theater. In the process of pinpointing at least some of those dates, such as when the theater opened as "the Texas Theater" and when the building acquired its "modernistic" front, other information surfaced (mostly from newspapers on microfilm) about the Texas and its predecessors. Beginning in 1907, Waxahachie had numerous moving picture houses but the emphasis here is the Texas Theater and its location on the north side of the Courthouse Square.
Waxahachie's Chautauqua Auditorium - is the sole national survivor of the turn-of-the-century phenomenon - The Traveling Chautauquas. It has been designated a Texas State Historical Building and has been placed on the National Register of Historical Buildings and Sites.
Built in 1902, it seated 2500 culture-hungry Texans from all over the state at Chautauqua activities. They came by covered wagon, surrey, on horseback, and any means at their disposal to hear such American greats as William Jennings Bryan, Will Rogers, and the U. S. Marine Band. For two weeks each July, Waxahachie's Chautauqua Park (now Getzendaner Park) became a "tent city" where entire families came and camped out.
Ellis County was formed December 20, 1849, from Robertson and Navarro counties. It was named for Richard Ellis, President of the March, 1836, Independence Convention.
The first meeting of the Ellis County Commissioners Court was held on August 19, 1850. The court placed an order with Joseph Wittenberg to build a courthouse with the specifications that it was to be constructed of logs, 16 feet by 18 feet in size, and cost no more than $59.
This imposing brick structure, a block from the Ellis County Courthouse, was constructed in 1888 as the third Ellis County jail. Serving its original purpose until the late 1920's a major portion of the building still stands as a witness to the 19th century life in Waxahachie. In September of 1886, the Ellis County Grand Jury, with T. J. Quinn as foreman, recommended the building of a new jail for Ellis County. The jury determined that the county jail was obsolete and too small to accommodate the number of criminals that were being arrested.
The Gingerbread Trail invites you to participate in its renewal of the Antique Market located in the Chautauqua Auditorium Building. The Gingerbread Trail Home Tour has been a tradition in Waxahachie for 46 years and coupled with the market …it is the biggest week-end in our community!
Arts and Crafts and Antiques Fair - Plein Air Painting "Paint Historic Waxahachie" - Gingerbread Trail Antique Market The Antique Market is in the historic open-air Chautauqua auditorium in Getzendaner Park along with the arts and crafts in the park. We will pass out flyers at Round Top and Warrenton Antiques Shows to get out the word on our upcoming event as well as advertisements in local and regional magazines.